Curlew is a multi-converter program that depends on ffmpeg/avconv/mencoder to perform its functionality. It is free, open source and easy to use rich format multimedia converter written in GTK3 and Python programming language.
The last stable update was back in mid of 2014, since this program highly depends on ffmpeg and libav which was removed from Ubuntu repositories then developer of this program stopped the development. Now ffmpeg and other tools are now available again in Ubuntu default repositories, so developer again started work on it and pushed the new update which works on latest Ubuntu versions. The GUI is redesigned and now has better features than old version.
- Easy to use with simple user interface.
- Hide the advanced options with the ability to show them.
- Convert to more than 100 different formats.
- Show file informations (duration, remaining time, estimated size, progress value).
- Allow to skip or remove file during conversion process.
- Preview file before conversion.
- Convert a specified portion of file.
- Combine subtitle with video file.
- Show error details if exist.
- And more ...
Available for Ubuntu 15.10 Wily/16.04 Xenial/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 13/other Ubuntu derivatives (Latest version only available for 15.10 & 15.04)
To install Curlew in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
To install Curlew in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty/Linux Mint 17.x/17 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal: