MyPaint is a free, open source, simple drawing and painting program for digital painters. It is way better and advanced than MS Windows paint, well the truth is you can't compare this great program with MS Paint. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it. MyPaint started in 2004 by Martin Renold, he wanted a smooth paint program which could help him digital painting with brush in different way to pressure and speed. MyPaint supports many graphics tablets such as Wacom, and many similar devices. The brush engine of MyPaint is versatile and configurable, and it offers useful, productive tools which a digital painter can expect from a program.
The standard brushes can emulate traditional media like charcoal, pencils, ink, or paint. But you don't have to limit yourself to just the standard ones. It's easy to make expressive, artful new brushes that don't respond like anything conventional. Fullscreen mode declutters the interface, leaving you with just your brush and your creativity. You can still reveal the tools you want, when you need them. This distraction-free approach means you can focus better on the art you make, not the tool you make it with. After three years of long time development, MyPaint reached to version 1.2.0 stable.
- Designed for pressure sensitive graphics tablets
- Simple and minimalistic user interface
- Extensive brush creation and configuration options
- Unlimited canvas (you never have to re-size)
- Basic layer support
- Fix failure to start under GLib 2.48.
- Fix failure to start when config and user data dirs are missing.
- GNOME: Update mypaint.appdata.xml.
- Fix failure to start when no translations are present.
- Fix pure-black being duplicated in the colour history.
- Fix glitch stroke when Inking is exited & the default tool entered.
- Fix mispositioned windows in multi-monitor setups.
- Fix exception when pasting into a layer group.
- Fix incorrect numeric range check on x-axis tilts.
- Fix layers blinking when selected in layer-solo mode.
- Fix palette drag issues with GTK 3.19.8+.
- Fix exception in the colours tab of the background chooser dialog.
- Fix UI glitch: mark cloned layer as selected after duplicate.
- Fix a potential exception with the brush and colur history features.
- Make sure layer clones get selected immediately.
- Fix hypersensitive tab drags.
- Fix allelerator mapping sort order.
- Fix exceptions when loading a corrupt thumbnail during thumb updates.
- Fix GTK removing the main canvas widget.
- BrushManager: use UUIDs for device brush names, backwards-compatibly.
- Fix repeated pixbuflist redraws.
- Wayland: remove references to cursors that don't exist.
- Many other bugfixes, translations, and code quality improvements.
Available for Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial/14.04 Trusty/Linux Mint 18/17/other related Ubuntu derivatives
To install MyPaint in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
What program do you use for digital painting and drawing?