Recoll is a full text search QT based free, open source program especially made for Unix-like and Linux but it is also available for Windows and Mac systems, licensed under GPL. It provides efficient desktop full text search from single-word to arbitrarily complex boolean searches, basically it indexes the documents data (along with their compressed versions) and huge number of files then let you find quickly whatever you search for. Recoll updates its index at designed intervals (for example through Cron tasks) but if desired, the indexing task can run as a file-system monitoring daemon for real-time index updates.
The Recoll document conversion and text extraction architecture makes it extremely easy to write new filters, and many document types are supported. Indexes the contents of many document types: text, HTML, E-Mail stores of all kinds, OpenOffice.org, Microsoft Office and Office Open XML, AbiWord, KWord, Gaim, Lyx, Scribus, PDF, WordPerfect, PostScript, RTF, TeX, DVI, DjVu, MP3 and other audio file formats, JPEG and other image file formats. You can checkout complete list of features on official site.
- Xapian backend; Python API.
- Xesam query language support.
- Batch and real-time indexing modes.
- Kicker (KDE) applet for easy launching.
- Multi-language and multi-character set with Unicode based internals.
- MD5 document hashes for the elimination of duplicates in result lists.
- Multiple indexes selectable at query time (i.e.: personal + system indexes).
- Word stemming is performed at query time (can switch stemming language after indexing).
- Recursively processes embedded documents (E-Mail attachments, Zip archives) to arbitrary depths.
- Easy installation, few dependancies. No database daemon, web server, desktop environment or exotic language necessary.
- Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, wildcards, phrases, proximity, filter on file types and directory tree. GUI Boolean search build tool.
How to Install in Ubuntu/Linux Mint?Available for Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial/14.04 Trusty/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 18/17/13/other Ubuntu derivatives
To install Recoll Search Tool in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
For KDE4 Install this package too:
How to Install in Debian?To install Recoll Search Tool in Debian and its derivatives open Terminal and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
For other distributions checkout this link.
Did you find it useful?