SafeEyes is a useful application designed to give your eyes a little break from your computer screen (this is the way how not to get eye strain, 'asthenopia'), while also asking you to do some eyes exercise which can be useful. It is free and open source developed by Gobinath, it is an alternative to EyeLeo which is only available for Windows.
It stays in the Panel/Tray, and you can manage it from its panel icon, enable/disable or change its functionality or settings. Before hitting the break time the application sends a notification that break is coming, by default notification is displayed 10 seconds before break but you can change this time and break time as well from its settings.
You can skip break by clicking on the icon when break started but this button can be removed from break screen, which strictly allows you to take a break. You can manage long and short breaks, each with configurable duration, adjust interval between breaks.
- Short breaks with eye exercises
- Long breaks to change physical position and to warm up
- Disable the keyboard during break
- Notifications before every break
- Do not disturb when working with fullscreen applications( Eg: Watching movies)
- Smart pause and resume based on system idle time
- Multi-monitor support
- Elegant and customizable design
- Multi-language support
- Highly customizable
- Strict break for those who are addicted to computer
- Skip or take break based on active windows (Regardless of fullscreen-mode)
- Customize individual break time
- Audible alert at the end of break
- Turn on/off audible alert for individual breaks
- Customize disable time period
How to Install SafeEyes:Available for Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/17.04/16.04 Xenial/14.04 Trusty/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 18/17/13other related Ubuntu derivatives
To install SafeEyes in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
Arch Linux: Install via AUR
For Other Linux distributions follow instructions from their Github page.