Cinnamon is a GTK+-based desktop environment. It originally started as a fork of the GNOME Shell, which is a user interface and was initially developed by (and for) Linux Mint. Cinnamon provides many features, including: Desktop effects, including animations, Applets, Desklets, and transition effects; A movable panel equipped with a main menu, launchers, a window list and the system tray; Various extensions; Applets that appear on the panel; Overview with functions similar to that in GNOME Shell; and Settings editor for easy customization. It can customize: The panel, The calendar, Themes, Desktop effects, Applets, Extensions.
Mint team released new version 3.2 of Cinnamon with new features and bugs fixes, rich settings to enhance desktop using Cinnamon Control Center. In version 3.2, and similar to MATE or Xfce, Cinnamon is an entire desktop environment built on GNOME technologies. It still uses tool-kits and libraries such as GTK or Clutter and it is still compatible with all GNOME applications, but it no longer requires GNOME itself to be installed. It now communicates directly with its own backend services, libraries and daemons: cinnamon-desktop, cinnamon-session and cinnamon-settings-daemon.
- Settings Daemon: Fix cursor-size changes being ignored
- Settings Daemon: Support for libinput touchpads as well as synaptics
- Settings Daemon: iio-sensor-proxy rotation plugin
- Improvements to unredirect heuristic and borders/maximization
- Cross-fade effect on background changes
- Fixed special cases which could lead to cinnamon crashes
- Control Center: Fixed new network connections secrets
- Control Center: New keyboard layout options
- Cinnamon: Vertical panels
- Cinnamon: Removal of box pointers
- Cinnamon: Ability to peek at desktop
- Cinnamon: Ability to upload system information
- Cinnamon: Ability to play a sound effect when showing notifications
- Session Manager: QT 5.7+ support
- You can checkout complete changelog here.
Installation of Cinnamon DesktopWarning: If you have installed any Linux Mint application, first of all remove that application(s) and PPA from your system. Don't use following PPA in the Linux Mint.
To install Cinnamon 3.2 in Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial/other related derivatives open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
There is a problem with shutdown dialog menu, you can fix it with these commands (source):
Restart your system or simply logout to see the effect.
To uninstall Cinnamon, enter these commands in Terminal: