Calibre is an eBook management software that is almost without equal, on any platform that runs it. A few years ago nobody could anticipate that eBooks will take our lives completely, but the rise of eBook readers and the fact that most books are cheaper in digital form, proves that it was inevitable for someone to take matters in his own hands and develop something that can actually manage an entire library.
Major part of this release: "A 'Live CSS' tool that shows all the style rules for the tag you are currently editing. You can use it to easily jump to any style rules that affect the current tag. Enable it via View->Live CSS,"
Calibre is a very rapidly evolving piece of software, with weekly releases. As a results bugs are inevitable. Calibre team rely on calibre's users to report bugs, so that they can be fixed as quickly as possible. To report bugs use the calibre bug tracker.
Calibre features divided into the following main categories:
- Library Management
- E-book conversion
- Syncing to e-book reader devices
- Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
- Comprehensive e-book viewer
- Content server for online access to your book collection
- E-book editor for the major e-book formats
- View button: Add an action to the right click menu that always opens the book with the calibre viewer, regardless of the preferences
- Kobo driver: Update to support the newest firmware from Kobo
- E-book viewer: Allow opening a specific item from the Table of Contents via the --open-at command line parameter.
- Amazon metadata download: Add support for downloading from amazon.ca
- Add support for new Kobo firmware version 4.2
- Allow using amazon_in, amazon_au, amazon_com identifiers in the Book details panel.
- Amazon metadata download: Allow downloading from amazon.cn as well. To use go to Preferences->Metadata download and customize the amazon plugin to download from amazon.cn
- Edit Book: Allow disabling the 'Files already arranged into folders' message popup
- Add a preference in Preferences->Look & Feel to hide the row numbers in the main book list.
- Allow Export/Import of column coloring and icon rules.
- Edit Book: Allow bulk changing of file extension for selected files by right clicking ont he selected files in the file browser.
- Edit Book: Check Book: Add a check for nav documents that contain no ToC in EPUB 3 books
- Edit Book: Check Book: Add a test to check if the embedded fonts in the book have their embedding permissions enabled
- Edit Book: Do not condense CSS rules when saving AZW3 files regardless of the value of Preferences->Common Options->Look & Feel->Expand CSS
- EPUB Output: Fix a duplicate id created in rare circumstances when splitting on page breaks.
- DOCX Input: Fix error when converting documents that have images pointing to web resources.
- E-book viewer: Fix a regression that caused an increase in load times when loading the individual HTML files inside an EPUB book.
- Fix setting a similar books search to use the formats field in Preferences->Searching resulting in an error.
- Kobo driver: Fix incorrect cover size being uploaded to the Glo HD
- E-book viewer: Fix 'View Image' right click menu action not available for svg files included via tags.
- HTML Input: Remove the # character from input filenames, for maximum compatibility.
- Edit Book: Fix spell check treating the unicode hyphen (U+2010) differently from the normal hyphen (U+002d).
- Conversion: Fix changing the cover image not updating references to the old cover image inside SVG wrappers.
- E-book viewer: Fix a regression that caused clicking links in the footnote popup window to stop working
- Edit Book: Fix importing DOCX file as new book not setting the version attribute in the OPF
- Kindle driver: Fix some newer KFX books not being recognized on e-ink kindles, because of a change in how metadata is stored in the KFX format
- DOCX Output: Fix missing
- tag causing conversion to fail.
- Edit Book: Fix group references causing errors when used in replace string in the normal mode search and replace
- Edit Book: Fix Check Book reporting a spurious mime/type mismatch error after replacing a file with a file having a different mime type.
- Amazon metadata download: Fix detection of series not working for some books due to changes in the amazon website
- Edit Book: Ensure keyboard focus stays with Files Browser when renaming files.
To install Calibre in Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Any Linux Distribution open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following command in the Terminal: