Nemo is a complete forked from Nautilus file manager by Linux Mint team for their distribution and its goal is to extend and enhance the user experience to the Cinnamon desktop and file management. Nemo has features like: compact view, all desktop icons, etc.., open in terminal and open as root, file operation progress while copy/move files shows percentage and details, has nice GTK bookmarks management, up/forward/back and refresh buttons, nice proper status bar, better search, invoke terminal within Nemo using Terminal extension, manage images in Nemo using image extension, extensions extend the usability of Nemo and it offers much more.
What Nemo offers:
- Built in "Open as root" context menu item
- Detachable tabs
- New Extensions: nemo-image-converter, nemo-filename-repairer, nemo-emblems, and old extension got new updates and features.
- Unified, configurable toolbar: you can add/remove the following: up icon, refresh icon, toggle button for the location bar / path bar, home icon, computer icon and search icon.
- Option to show the full path in the titlebar and tab bars (Preferences > Display)
- Displays an "elevated privileges" banner when running as root
- Built in "Open in terminal" context menu item
- Added "Set as Wallpaper" to the context menu
- Added GTK bookmarks to the MoveTo/CopyTo context menus
- Switch view buttons on the toolbar (Grid, List and Compact views)
- Collapsable sidebar categories
- Drag and drop support for the bookmarks in the sidebar
- Sidebar: indicators under each drive, displaying the free/used space
- Support for sending files via Thunderbird and xdg-email
- Image properties improvements
- Press 'F4' to invoke terminal extension in Nemo
- Memory leaks fixes
- A proper status bar
- Better widgets and Better search
- and More!
Warning: Do not add this PPA in Linux Mint or in Ubuntu if you have Cinnamon already installed.
Instructions to set Nemo as default file manager in Ubuntu.
Available for Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial/15.10 Wily/14.04 Trusty/other related Ubuntu derivatives (Except Linux Mint with Nemo)
To install Nemo File Manager in Ubuntu open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
Install Extensions for Nemo using this command:
To remove Nemo and PPA, Enter following commands:
Which file manager do you use most and Why?