MyPaint is a free, open source, simple drawing and painting program for digital painters. It is way better and advanced than MS Windows paint, well the truth is you can't compare this great program with MS Paint. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it. MyPaint started in 2004 by Martin Renold, he wanted a smooth paint program which could help him digital painting with brush in different way to pressure and speed. MyPaint supports many graphics tablets such as Wacom, and many similar devices. The brush engine of MyPaint is versatile and configurable, and it offers useful, productive tools which a digital painter can expect from a program.
The standard brushes can emulate traditional media like charcoal, pencils, ink, or paint. But you don't have to limit yourself to just the standard ones. It's easy to make expressive, artful new brushes that don't respond like anything conventional. Fullscreen mode declutters the interface, leaving you with just your brush and your creativity. You can still reveal the tools you want, when you need them. This distraction-free approach means you can focus better on the art you make, not the tool you make it with. After three years of long time development, MyPaint reached to version 1.2.0 stable.
- Designed for pressure sensitive graphics tablets
- Simple and minimalistic user interface
- Extensive brush creation and configuration options
- Unlimited canvas (you never have to re-size)
- Basic layer support
- New intuitive Inking tool for smooth strokes.
- New Flood Fill tool.
- Automated backups of your working docs, with recovery on startup.
- Improved symmetry-setting and frame-setting modes.
- New workspace UI: two sidebars, with dockable tabbed panels.
- Smoother scrolling and panning.
- New brush pack.
- New brush and color history panel.
- New layer trimming command in frame options.
- Added layer groups.
- New layer modes: several masking modes added.
- Add display filters: greyscale, simulate dichromacy for trichromats.
- New color wheel options: Red/Yellow/Blue, Red-Green/Blue-Yellow.
- Uses dark theme variant by default.
- Clearer icons, prettier freehand cursors.
- Device prefs allow glitchy devices to be restricted.
- Eraser mode no longer changes the size of the brush.
- New vector layers, editable in an external app (Inkscape recommended).
- New fallback layer types: non-PNG image, data.
- More kinds of images now work as backgrounds.
- Improved Windows support
- Ported to GTK3.
- Accelerator map editor has moved to preferences.
- Many other bugfixes, translations, and code quality improvements.
Available for Ubuntu 15.10 Wily/16.04/15.04 Vivid/14.04 Trusty/Linux Mint 17.x/17/other related Ubuntu derivatives
To install MyPaint in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
What program do you use for digital painting and drawing?