Calibre is an eBook management software that is almost without equal, on any platform that runs it. A few years ago nobody could anticipate that eBooks will take our lives completely, but the rise of eBook readers and the fact that most books are cheaper in digital form, proves that it was inevitable for someone to take matters in his own hands and develop something that can actually manage an entire library.
Major part of this release: "A 'Live CSS' tool that shows all the style rules for the tag you are currently editing. You can use it to easily jump to any style rules that affect the current tag. Enable it via View->Live CSS,"
Calibre is a very rapidly evolving piece of software, with weekly releases. As a results bugs are inevitable. Calibre team rely on calibre's users to report bugs, so that they can be fixed as quickly as possible. To report bugs use the calibre bug tracker.
Calibre features divided into the following main categories:
- Library Management
- E-book conversion
- Syncing to e-book reader devices
- Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
- Comprehensive e-book viewer
- Content server for online access to your book collection
- Add support for Kobo Touch 2
- Edit Book: Add a tool to check external links (links pointing to websites). Can be accessed via Tools->Check external links
- Edit Book: Add an option to turn off drag and drop editing of text (Preferences->Editor)
- Two new icon themes: Primo+ and Black Edition (Preferences->Look & Feel->Change icon theme)
- Driver for the Lark Freebook reader device
- A redesigned busy spinner -- why should icons get all the love?
- When merging book records, show more information about the target book record.
- A new icon theme 'Dark Blue' (Preferences->Look & Feel->Change icon theme)
- Add a check box to control copying ebook files when duplicating book records via the Add Empty Book dialog
- Icon themes: Change the calibre icons easily via icon themes
- You can now change the icons calibre uses easily via Preferences->Look & Feel->Change icon theme. Several icon themes are already available for calibre
- When adding empty books to the library also allow creating duplicates of the current book, with all metadata copied. To use right click the Add Books button and select 'Add Empty Books'
- Driver for the Unusual Sapiens V2 and Adlibris Letto readers.
- Kobo driver: Add support for firmware 3.17.3
- E-book viewer: Add a command line option to open the previously read book when starting up.
- Edit Book: Live CSS: Allow copying of CSS rules by right clicking on the Live CSS panel.
- Linux installer: Install application and mimetype icons in multiple sizes
- Copy to Library: Fix author sort/link values not being copied when copying a book with an author not present in the destination library.
- When inserting metadata jackets do not set media for the stylesheet. This prevented the stylesheet from working with some reader devices.
- Copy to library: Fix conversion options not being copied when copying books between libraries
- Edit Book: Check Book: Fix automatic fixing of unsafe ids not working if the file containing the unsafe also needs to be fixed for an unsafe filename.
- E-book viewer: Informative error message for themes button when no themes have been created
- Fix a regression that caused the library switch entries at the bottom of the library menu to not work when there are many libraries.
- Amazon metadata download: Support for yet another variant of amazon cover image markup
- E-book viewer: Fix --open-at sometimes giving inaccurate results (depends on speed of book loading)
- EPUB Metadata: Add workaround for bug in PocketBook firmware which causes it to fail to read series metadata if the series number is declared before the series.
- Fix user defined template functions leaking from one library to another when switching libraries/using copy to library.
- Fix a regression in the previous release that could cause the marked books icon to be incorrectly rendered next to the row number
- Edit Book: Check Book: Fix incorrect links that consist only of an anchor and no filename not being detected.
- AZW3 Output: Fix large tables (with many columns) not rendering correctly on Kindles.
To install Calibre in Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Any Linux Distribution open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following command in the Terminal: