PS3 Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server and it is cross-platform Media Server available for supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X because it is written in Java. Originally written to support the PlayStation 3, PS3 Media Server has been expanded to support a range of other media renderers, including smartphones, TVs, music players and more. The MPlayer and FFmpeg packages support the PS3 Media Server.
The program streams or trans-codes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR and AviSynth, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. It features no codec packs to install, no folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing, all your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there is an automatic refresh, and real-time video transcoding via MEncoder.
- Sony PlayStation 3
- Microsoft XBOX 360
- Sony Bravia
- Google Android
- Freebox HD
- Freecom MusicPal
- Pioneer Kuro
- Nokia N900
- Philips Aurea
- Philips Net TV
- Popcorn Hour
- Asus O!Play
- AC Ryan PlayOn!HD
- Brite-view CinemaTube
- Samsung TVs
- Philips Streamium
- Western Digital WD TV Live
- XBMC Media Center
- Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
- Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
- Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
- Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
- Full seeking support when transcoding
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
- OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
- Thumbnail generation for Videos
- You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
- Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
- Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
- ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
- Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
- Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
- Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
- Basic Xbox360 support
- FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
This project has official PPA but contains packages for obsoleted Ubuntu versions. Also there is no new release for PS3 Media Server, the last release was in August, 2013, hope to see new release soon for this program.
Available for Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid/14.10 Utopic/14.04 Trusty/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 17.1/17/13/and other Ubuntu derivatives
To install PS3 Media Server in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal: