VLC media player (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG, DivX/Xvid, Ogg, and many more) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. However in recent years it has also become a extremely powerful server to stream live and on demand video in several formats to our network and the Internet.
The 2.0.1 version was released few days ago, with following changes:
- Support for MxPEG files and streams
- New features in the Mac OS X interface for more customization
- Numerous fixes in the Qt, the Mac OS and the skins interfaces.
- Fixes for HTTP Live Streaming, CDDB, UDP/RTP support.
- Security issues SA-1201 and SA-1202.
- Limited support for Bluray discs menus.
- Numerous fixes for MKV support.
- Fix for splitted RAR files playback.
- Numerous fixes for more than 120 bugs.
- Codec and 3rd party libraries security updates.
- Release notes
To install VLC on Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
Here is the site of VLC. That's it