KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE's full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
- Global Menus have returned.
- Improvements have been made to the look and feel of the Plasma Desktop and its applications.
- Task Manager tooltips have been redesigned to provide more information while being significantly more compact.
- The Quick Launch applet now supports jump list actions, bringing it to feature parity with the other launchers in Plasma.
- Due to popular demand KDE team implemented switching between windows in Task Manager using Meta + number shortcuts for heavy multi-tasking.
- The global Look and Feel desktop themes now support changing the window decoration as well.
- A new configuration module for network connections has been added to System Settings, using QML.
- Checkout complete changelog here.
You can checkout announcement list here for latest KDE plasma release.
To upgrade to latest KDE Plasma 5.x desktop in Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial open Terminal and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
To install latest KDE Plasma 5.x desktop in Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial/Linux Mint 18 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal: