Are you looking for a program that can allow you create or edit vector graphics? Then you are visiting right page, the program called "Inkscape", it is free and open source similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X. It is cross-platform (available for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows) program used to create or edit vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, line arts, charts, logos and complex paintings. Inkscape's primary vector graphics format is Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) version 1.1.
It can import in several formats: SVG / SVGZ, Portable Document Format (PDF), Adobe Illustrator format (AI), JPEG, PNG and GIF and other raster image formats, CorelDRAW format, Visio (VSD) format. You can also import more formats using extensions: Postscript (PS) using Ghostscript, Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) using Ghostscript, Dia, Xfig, Sketch, CGM (using UniConvertor), sK1 (using UniConvertor). Inkscape can export in different formats as follows: PDF, PS, EPS, LaTeX (TEX), POVRay (POV), Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language (HPGL), Synfig Animation Studio (SIF), HTML5 Canvas, Flash XML Graphics (FXG).
Inkscape can render the primitive vector shapes (e.g. rectangles, ellipses, polygons, arcs, spirals, stars and isometric boxes), text and regions containing raster graphics. It supports image tracing, enabling the editor to create vector graphics from photos and other raster sources. Created shapes can be subjected to further transformations, such as moving, rotating, scaling and skewing. These objects may be filled with solid colors or color gradients, their borders stroked or their transparency changed. As of 2015, Inkscape does not support SVG animation or full Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) specifications.
- Drawing: pencil tool (freehand drawing with simple paths), pen tool (creating Bézier curves and straight lines), calligraphy tool (freehand drawing using filled paths representing calligraphic strokes)
- Shape tools: rectangles (may have rounded corners), ellipses (includes circles, arcs, segments), stars/polygons (can be rounded and/or randomized), spirals
- Text tool (multi-line text, full on-canvas editing)
- Embedded bitmaps (with a command to create and embed bitmaps of selected objects)
- Clones ("live" linked copies of objects), including a tool to create patterns and arrangements of clones
- Transformations (moving, scaling, rotating, skewing), both interactively and by specifying exact numeric values
- Grouping objects ("select in group" without ungrouping, or "enter the group" making it a temporary layer)
- Layers (lock and/or hide individual layers, rearrange them, etc; layers can form a hierarchical tree)
- Alignment and distribution commands
- Color selector (RGB, HSL, CMYK, color wheel, CMS)
- A gradient editor capable of multi-stop gradients
- Alpha transparency support for display and PNG export
- Perfectly compliant SVG format file generation and editing
- Live watching and editing the document tree in the XML editor
- PNG, OpenDocument Drawing, DXF, sk1, PDF, EPS and PostScript export formats and more
- Command line options for export and conversions
- And many more...
Available for Ubuntu 15.10 Wily/14.04 Trusty/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 17.x/13/other related Ubuntu derivatives
To install Inkscape (Stable Version) in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
Available for Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial/15.10 Wily/14.04 Trusty/12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 17.x/13/other related Ubuntu derivatives
To install Inkscape (Unstable Version) in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
What program do you use for Vector Editing?