Install Latest Cinnamon 1.6 in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin/Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot
Cinnamon team released new version of Cinnamon with many bugs fixes, theme improvements, enhancements to the bottom panel, also include cinnamon setting manager. Latest Version is a maintenance release which adds polish and tackles important issues from the previous release.
"Scale" was present in previous Cinnamon releases and looks like the Compiz Scale plugin, it shows all the windows from your current workspace on the screen and easily allows you to select the one you’re interested in.
"Expo" is really cool in Cinnamon. It zooms out of your current workspace and shows you all the workspaces on your system. From there you can switch to the workspace you want, or even drag and drop windows from one workspace to another.
Cinnamon has 5 workspaces, whether you use them or not, whether you restart Cinnamon or not, whether you even reboot your computer or not… you’re in charge of your workspace management now.
By default shortcuts for Expo and Scale:
CTRL+ALT+UP goes to Expo
CTRL+ALT+DOWN goes to Scale
The hot corner is on the top-left and calls Expo
CTRL+ALT+LEFT/RIGHT switches to the LEFT/RIGHT adjacent workspace
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT moves the active window to the LEFT/RIGHT adjacent workspace
"Settings Applet" And "Panel Edit Mode"
This applet features:
- Troubleshooting options (restart cinnamon, looking glass, restore settings to default)
- Panel Edit Mode
- Quick access to settings
The menu received two significant improvements: full drag & drop support, and edition.
You can use drag & drop to:
- Add applications to the panel launchers from the menu
- To add/remove applications to/from your favorites
- To reorder your favorites
- By right-clicking the menu and selecting “Edit menu” you can launch a brand new menu editor. “Alacarte” was made compatible with Cinnamon and got fully integrated with the desktop.
To Install Latest Cinnamon 1.6 in Ubuntu 12.04/11.10 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install cinnamon